National safari parks near Kilimanjaro
Tanzanian safaris offer quite sensational game viewing locations and Tanzania is one of the best countries in Africa in which to take a safari after climbing Kilimanjaro.
All the big names of mainstream Tanzanian safaris are located in the north. On a northern circuit safari, travellers depart from Arusha. Lake Manyara National Park and Tarangire National Park are little more than three hours away and are often incorporated as part of a longer safari. The most visited part of the northern circuit is the Ngorongoro Crater, where wildlife grazes and hunts in one of the largest volcanic craters in the world.
If you are travelling from December to April, the annual wildebeest migration in Serengeti National Park is definitely not to be missed. A longer trek through the Ngorongoro Crater Highlands is also a beautiful way to explore northern Tanzania at a leisurely pace. Day-trips from Arusha to Mt. Meru and the Momela Lakes, located in Arusha National Park, incorporate short forest hikes and canoeing trips as a break from standard vehicle game drives.
Tanzania Safari parks & Destinations
- Maasai herdsmen grazing cattle alongside predators
- Very easy sightings of the Big Five
- Lerai Forest is the best place for leopard sightings
- Views from the Crater rim are breathtaking
- Luxurious lodges on the rim with wonderful views
- Unforgettable hot air balloon safaris over the vast Serengeti plains
- The incredible spectacle of the wildebeest migration
- Olduvai Gorge – Cradle of Humanity
- Fantastic bird watching
- Marvel at the tree-climbing lions
- Large flocks of flamingo on Lake Manyara
- Family herds of elephant
- Stunning mahogany, fig, acacia tree vegetation
- Great bird watching destination
- Closest National Park to Kilimanjaro
- Acrobatic black and white colobus monkeys
- Large flocks of flamingo