9 Days Northern Circuit Route
Book this Tour
Northern Circuit Highlights
- √ The “Grand Traverse” of Kilimanjaro from west to east.
- √ An excellent route to climb Kilimanjaro with a high success rate
- √ It is by far the quietest and remote route taking you away from the crowds
- √ Allows climbers to “walk high, sleep low” enabling better acclimatisation
This 9 Days Mount Kilimanjaro climb via the Northern Circuit route will take you to the roof of Africa, the Uhuru peak. You will traverse different vegetation and climatic zones as you climb, spot some animals, birds over scenic trails and stunning views of the peaks of Kilimanjaro. It is an amazing adventure of exploring different terrains and putting your thirst for adventure to the top.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro via Northern Circuit Route
Due to the stunning scenery, 360 degrees panoramic vistas of the mountain and the highest summit success rate, we can safely the Northern Circuit route is one of the best routes on Mount Kilimanjaro. On top of that, this is a quiet, tranquil and less crowded route that is seldomly used and it runs through the northern slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro. Since it is a long route, it allows enough days and time for proper acclimatization, increasing your chance of making it to the summit successfully.
Northern Circuit Route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the western side, starting off with transport from your hotel in Moshi to the Londorossi Gate. Proceeding from the gate, the first two days are mainly used to traverse the trail through the rainforest to Shira Ridge, before passing through the Shira Plateau. The route then proceeds northwards and rounds clockwise from Moir Hut to Buffalo Camp to School Hut, before approaching the summit from the eastern side of the mountain.
Duration: 9 or 10 days
Northern Circuit Success Rate
Northern Circuit Route of Mount Kilimanjaro has the highest summit success rate averaging between 90% and 95%.
When you arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, you will be met and transferred to your hotel for dinner and overnight as you prepare for the next day. Your head guide will meet you for your briefing, gear check and arrange for you to hire or rent any gear or mountain equipment you may need.
9 Days Northern Circuit Itinerary
Day 1: Londorossi Gate to Mti Mkubwa
Day 2: Mti Mkubwa to Shira 1
Day 3: Shira 1 to Shira 2
Day 4: Shira 2 to Moir Hut
Day 5: Moir Hut to Pofu Camp
Day 6: Pofu Camp to Third Cave
Day 7: Third Cave Camp to School Hut
Day 8: School Hut to Summit to Mweka Camp
Day 9: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate
- Pick up and drop off at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)*
- 2 nights hotel accommodation in Moshi (before & after the climb)
- Breakfast is included at the hotel*
- 1 Post-climb celebratory drink (beer, juice, or soda) on us*
- Group transport to and from Moshi to ALL Kilimanjaro park gates*
- No additional transport fees will be charged to the Northern or Western route gates*
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits
- Camping/Hut fees
- Mountain rescue fees
- Guides/Porters salaries
- Private toilet for the party on all climbs (except for Marangu)*
- All season mountain tents
- Foam sleeping pad (unless you opt to bring your own instead)
- Mess tents, tables, chairs for parties of two or more
- All meals on the mountain
- No small party supplement fees will be charged
- No single supplement fees for Private Climbs will be charged
- Personal Gear
- Tips for porters & Guides
- Tanzania Visa: $50 per person on arrival
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb etc)
- Tips and any items of personal nature.
Kilimanjaro, Northern Circuit Reviews
Mount Kilimanjaro Routes has been providing and still continues to provide the highest quality Kilimanjaro climbs at a reasonable cost.
Specification: 9 Days Northern Circuit Route